Table of Contents
Glimpse of the RAAF Meteorological Service
Chapter 1: Growing Up
Chapter 2: Port Moresby Before Pearl Harbour
Chapter 3: Port Moresby After Pearl Harbour
Chapter 4: Allied Air Force HQ and RAAF Command, Brisbane
Chapter 5: Japan Surrenders and We Are Demobilised
Appendix 1: References
Appendix 2: Milestones
Appendix 3: Papers Published in Tropical Weather Research Bulletins
Appendix 4: Radiosonde Observations 194146
Appendix 1: References
- Baff, K.C. 1983. Maritime is Number TenThe Sunderland Era. Published by the Author, Adelaide.
- Bennett, H. 1951. The Kingsland Story. A.M. Mag., March 1951.
- Bergamini, D. 1992. Japan's Imperial Conspiracy. Panther Books.
- Bird, N. 1990. My God! It's a woman. Angus and Robertson, Sydney.
- Bleakley, J. 1991. The Eavesdroppers. Aust. Govt. Publ. Ser., Canberra.
- Cassidy, M. If I remember rightly. To be published in Bureau of Meteorology Metarch Papers Series.
- Day, D. 1992. Reluctant Nation. Extract in The Weekend Australian, 1516 February 1992, from book of same name published by Oxford University Press.
- Evans, B. and Coulthard, C. et al; 1992. The Battle of the Coral Sea; The Weekend Australian, 23 May 1992.
- Gibbs, W.J.
- 1942. Notes on the gradient wind in low latitudes. Proceedings of the Linnean Society of NSW Vol. LXVII Nos 301-302 May, August 1942.
- 1943. Synoptic analysis over the South-west Pacific Area. Bull. No. 30, Bur. Met., Australia.
- 1945. Horizontal convergence in low latitudes, with a note on the effect of periodicity; 62 pp, unpublished.
- 1975. The Origins of Australian Meteorology; Aust. Govt. Publ. Ser.,(AGPS) Canberra.
- A mini-history of meteorology in Australia. To be published by Aust. Met. and Oceanogr. Soc.
- Gillison, D. 1962. Royal Australian Air Force 19391942. Aust War Memorial, Canberra.
- Gwynn-Jones, T. 1992. By the seats of their pants. Univ. of Queensland Press.
- Haldane, T.A. War history of the Australian Meteorological Service in the RAAF, July 1940August, 1946. To be published in Metarch Papers Series.
- Hannay, A.K. 1994. Some Recollections of Service in the Commonwealth Bureau of Meteorology and RAAF Meteorological ServiceMascot and Rose Bay (1938 to 1940)Sojourn in the Far East (1942); Metarch Pap. No.6 July 1994, Bur. Met., Australia, 25 pp.
- Horner, D. et al.
- 1992a. The fall of Singapore. The Weekend Australian, 1516, February 1992.
- 1992b. The Kokoda track and the battle of Milne Bay; The Weekend Australian, 1516 February 1992.
- Jenkins, D.
- 1992a. My God, they're Japanese. The Age, 8 February 1992.
- 1992b. The attack on Sydney Harbour 31 May1 June 1942. Extract (from Battle Surface, Random Century). The Weekend Australian, 2324, May 1992.
- Johnston, G. 1943. War Diary, Collins 1945. New Guinea Diary, 1943. Angus and Robertson.
- Joyce, J. 1993. The story of the RAAF Meteorological Service. Metarch Pap. No 5, Bur. Met., Australia, 112 pp.
- Kingsland, R. 1991. various articles in Canberra Times.
- Laffin, J. 1983. British butchers and blunders of World War One. MacMillan, Melbourne, 1989.
- Lind, L. et al. 1992. The one that got away. The Aust. Mag., 23 May 1992.
- McCaughey, P. 1955. Sir Samuel McCaughey; Ure Smith, Sydney.
- Manchester, W. 1978. American CaesarDouglas MacArthur 1880-1964. Little, Brown & Co, Boston 1978.
- Mellor, D.P. 1958. The Role of Science and Industry. Vol V of Series 4 (Civil) of Australia in the War of 19391945. Chapter 22, pp 512-530, Aust War Memorial, Canberra.
- Morrison, J. 1992. The Kokoda track. The Weekend Australian, 2930 August 1992.
- Odgers, G.
- 1984. The Royal Australian Air Force. Aust. War Memorial, Canberra.
- 1957. The Air War against Japan. Aust. War Memorial, Canberra.
- Parnell, N.M. and Lynch, C.A. 1976. Australian Air Force since 1911. Reed, A.H. & L.W.,Sydney.
- Piper, R. 1991. Great air escapes. Pagemasters, Richmond, Victoria.
- Robinson, H. 1991. Scramblethe story of Australia's few. The Weekend Australian Magazine, 2526 April 1992.
- Stephens, T. 1992, The shelling of Sydney. The Age Good Weekend, 9 May 1992.
- Stuart, I. 1970. Port Moresbyyesterday and today; Pacific Publications, Sydney.
- Thornton, V. 1984. The story of the MV MacDhui. Seachest mag., June 1984.
- Vincent, D. 1978. Catalina Chronicle. Published by author, Highbury, South Australia.
- White, O. 1945. Green Armour. Angus and Robertson, Sydney.
- Wilson, S.
- 1991. Catalina, Neptune and Orion. Aerospace Publications, Western, Creek, ACT.
- 1992. Anson, Hudson and Sunderland; Aerospace Publications, Weston Creek, ACT.
People in Bright Sparcs - Haldane, Thomas; Hannay, Alexander Keith (Keith); Joyce, John; Kingsland, Richard
Gibbs, W. J. 1995 'A Glimpse of the RAAF Meteorological Service', Metarch Papers, No. 7 March 1995, Bureau of Meteorology
© Online Edition Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre and Bureau of Meteorology 2001
Published by Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, using the Web Academic Resource Publisher