||Science and the making of Victoria
Table of Contents
Royal Society of Victoria 1854-1959
Victorian Institute for the Advancement of Science
Philosophical Society of Victoria
Philosophical Institute of Victoria
Royal Society of Victoria
Royal Society of Victoria (continued)
In 1917 the lease of the land along Exhibition Street, with a frontage of 193 ft. by a depth of 60 ft., was offered to the City of Melbourne Creche for £200 per annum for 30 years, provided that a building approved by the council to the value of £2,000 was erected thereon. This offer was not taken up and the project lapsed.
An extraordinary event occurred in June 1915 when the council expelled from its membership an honorary membera German professoras a protest 'against the doctrines and methods of warfare adopted by Germany and Austria'. This rather discreditable action on the part of the Society clearly illustrated the feelings of the time, but surely science must recognize that an individual should not necessarily be held responsible for the actions of his government.
The outbreak of World War I in 1914 brought many changes in the membership and activities of the Society. Two very important recommendations, one a decision affecting the members and one concerning scientists generally, were made early in 1916. These were:
The periodical difficulties of finance with which the Society had been faced almost since its inception loomed up again in 1922 when it was discovered that printing was 12 months in arrears, with no available funds to bring this essential part of the Society's activities up to date. After considering many possible methods of overcoming this situation, it was decided to ask the government to undertake the printing of the Proceedings and, at the same time, to request authors to condense their papers as much as possible. The government not being willing to undertake the task, it was decided to economize by using a smaller size of type.
© Copyright of Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre and The Royal Society of Victoria 2001
Published by Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, using the Web Academic Resource Publisher