Page 373
Previous/Next Page
Federation and MeteorologyBureau of Meteorology
Table of Contents

Glimpse of the RAAF Meteorological Service




Chapter 1: Growing Up
Early Australian Meteorologists
Early Days in the Bureau
Forecasters' Training Course
My Classmates
Reorganisation of the Bureau
Love and Marriage

Chapter 2: Port Moresby Before Pearl Harbour

Chapter 3: Port Moresby After Pearl Harbour

Chapter 4: Allied Air Force HQ and RAAF Command, Brisbane

Chapter 5: Japan Surrenders and We Are Demobilised



Appendix 1: References

Appendix 2: Milestones

Appendix 3: Papers Published in Tropical Weather Research Bulletins

Appendix 4: Radiosonde Observations 1941–46


Contact us

Early Australian Meteorologists (continued)

The Australian Constitution, which became effective on 1 January 1901, determined that meteorology should be the responsibility of the Commonwealth with the States retaining responsibility for astronomy. However, it was not until 1906 that a Bill for an Act to establish a meteorological service was passed by Federal Parliament and it was on 1 January 1908 that a Commonwealth Bureau of Meteorology was formed. In the interim, the former Colonial (now State) Government Astronomers maintained the meteorological services. Russell and his assistant H. A. Hunt (who was appointed as the first Commonwealth Meteorologist in 1907) continued the meteorological program of NSW at the Observatory.

On the creation of the Commonwealth Bureau of Meteorology in 1908 the newly-formed NSW Divisional Office of the Bureau was accommodated in the Observatory building. It was not until 1917 that the meteorological enclosure was moved from its original site in the Observatory grounds to a new site some 150 metres south of the Observatory, near the position where a windmill had operated to grind grain in the 1790s. Some of the staff of the Divisional Office were accommodated in a stone cottage adjoining the new observation site. A new three storey building accommodating the staff of the Divisional Office and providing a residence for the Divisional Meteorologist and his family was erected in 1922 adjacent to the stone cottage and the observational enclosure. The three storey building and the stone cottage still stand today and the observational enclosure, greatly modified, still occupies the same site.

People in Bright Sparcs - Hunt, Henry Ambrose ; Russell, Henry Chamberlain

Previous Page Bureau of Meteorology Next Page

Gibbs, W. J. 1995 'A Glimpse of the RAAF Meteorological Service', Metarch Papers, No. 7 March 1995, Bureau of Meteorology

© Online Edition Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre and Bureau of Meteorology 2001
Published by Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, using the Web Academic Resource Publisher