Table of Contents
Memories of the Bureau, 1946 to 1962
Chapter 1: The Warren Years, 1946 to 1950
Chapter 2: International Meteorology
Chapter 3: The Timcke Years, 1950 to 1955
Chapter 4: A Year at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Chapter 5: The Dwyer Years, 1955 to 1962
Chapter 6: A Springboard for the Future
Appendix 1: References
Appendix 2: Reports, Papers, Manuscripts
Appendix 3: Milestones
Appendix 4: Acknowledgements
Appendix 5: Summary by H. N. Warren of the Operation of the Meteorological Section of Allied Air Headquarters, Brisbane, 194245
Appendix 1: References
(See also references to Bureau of Meteorology publications and reports and other publications and papers, including various unpublished manuscripts, etc., listed in Appendix 2)
- Adams, B. 1980. A sky full of diamonds. Inflight (Nov/Dec). Qantas Airways.
- Allen, E. 1995. Airliners in Australian service, vol. 1. Aerospace Publications, Weston Creek, ACT.
- Ashford, O. M. 1985. Prophet or professor: The life and work of Lewis Fry Richardson. Adam Hilger, Bristol.
- Australian Encyclopaedia. 1996. Australian Geographic Society, Terrey Hills, N.S.W.
- Berggren, R., Gibbs, W. J. and Newton, C. W. 1958. Observational characteristics of the jet stream: a survey of the literature. Technical Note no 19. World Meteorological Organization, Geneva.
- Bertrand, K. J. 1971. Americans in Antarctica 17751948. Special Publication no 39. American Geographical Society, New York.
- Bjerknes, V. 1904. Das problem der Wettervorhesage, betrachtet vom standpunkte der mechanik und der physik. Meteorologische Zeitschrift.
- Bowden, T. 1997. The silence calling. Australians in Antarctica 194797. Allen and Unwin,St. Leonards, NSW.
- Brooks, C. E. P. 1951. Geological and historical aspects of climate change, in Compendium of Meteorology. American Meteorological Society, Boston, 100418.
- Burks, A. W., Goldstine, H. H. and von Neumann, J. 1946. Preliminary discussion of the logical design of an electronic computing instrument. Contract W-36-034-ORD-H81. R&D Service, Ordnance Department, US Army and Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton. (reprinted Datamation, 1962).
- Cassidy, M. 1998. If I remember rightly: Max Cassidy looks back. M. Cassidy, St. Kilda.
- Chapman, S. 1951. Atmospheric tides and oscillations, in Compendium of Meteorology. American Meteorological Society, Boston, 51030.
- Charney, J. G., Fjortoft, R. and von Neumann, J. 1950. Numerical integration of the barotropic vorticity equation. Tellus, 2, 23754.
- Charney, J. G. 1951. Dynamical forecasting by numerical process, in Compendium of Meteorology. American Meteorological Society, Boston, 47082.
- Commonwealth of Australia. Year Book (Various).
- Daniel, H. 1973. One hundred years of international co-operation in meteorology (18731973); a historical review. World Meteorological Organization, Geneva.
- Davies, Sir Arthur. 1990. Forty years of progress and achievement: a historical review of WMO. World Meteorological Organization, Geneva.
- Dening, G. 1992. Mr Bligh's bad language. Cambridge University Press.
- Department of Science, CSIRO, Academy of Technological Science, Academy of Social Science. 1979. Report of conference on the impact of climate on Australian society and economy, Phillip Island, 2730 November, 1978.
- Farrands, J. L. 1993. Don't panic, panic! The Text Publishing Company, Melbourne.
- Fletcher, R. D. 1951. Hydrometeorology in the United States, in Compendium of Meteorology. American Meteorological Society, Boston, 103347.
- Fysh, H. 1970. Wings to the world; the story of Qantas 19451966. Angus and Robertson,Sydney.
- Gall, J. 1986. From bullocks to Boeings: an illustrated history of Sydney Airport. AGPS, Canberra.
- Gibbs, W. J. 1950. Meteorology at Heard and Macquarie Islands. Meteorological Magazine, 79, 16870.
- Gibbs, W. J. 1952. Notes on the mean jet stream over Australia. Journal of Meteorology, 9, 27984.
- Gibbs, W. J. 1953. A comparison of hemispheric circulations with particular reference to the western Pacific. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 79, 12136.
- Gibbs, W. J. 1962. Geography and meteorology. Presidential address to Section PANZAAS, Sydney, 1962. Australian Journal of Science. 26, 2515.
- Gibbs, W. J. 1975. The origins of Australian meteorology. Historical Note, Bureau of Meteorology, AGPS, Canberra. (Reprinted as Metarch Papers, no 12, 1998).
- Gibbs, W. J. 1977. A day in the life of a meteorologist. Weather, 32, 32733.
- Gibbs, W. J. 1987. Defining climate. WMO Bulletin. 36, 2906.
- Gibbs, W. J. 1987. A drought watch system. WCP-134. World Meteorological Organization, Geneva.
- Gibbs, W. J. 1996. A mini-history of meteorology in Australia. Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society Publication, no 11. (Also published in Windows on Meteorology: Australian perspective, CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne 1997).
- Gibbs, W. J., Gotley, A. V. and Martin, A. R. 1952. Meteorology: Heard and Macquarie Islands, 1948. ANARE Reports Series D. Antarctic Division, Department of External Affairs, Melbourne.
- Griersmith, D. and Wilson, J. 1997. Satellite meteorology, in Windows on Meteorology: Australian perspective. CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne, 25374.
- Holland, G. and McBride, J. 1997. Tropical cyclones, in Windows on Meteorology: Australian perspective. CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne, 20016.
- Home, R. W. and Livingstone, K .T. 1994. Science and technology in the story of Australian Federation. The case of meteorology, 18761908. Historical Records of Australian Science. 10, 10927.
- Houghton, H. G. 1951. On the physics of clouds and precipitation, in Compendium of Meteorology. American Meteorological Society, Boston, 16581.
- Jenssen, D. 1959. On numerical forecasting with the barotropic model. M.Sc. Thesis. University of Melbourne.
- Jenssen, D. 1963. Application of digital computers to weather analysis and forecasting and to problems of the Antarctic water budget. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Melbourne.
- Job, M. 1991. Air Crash, Vol 1, 192139, Aerospace Publications, Fyshwick, ACT.
- Johnson, N.K. 1950. H.N. Warrenobituary. Meteorological Magazine, 79, 3034.
- Kidson, E. 1947. Daily weather charts. Extending from Australia and New Zealand to theAntarctic continent. Australasian Antarctic Expedition 191114. Scientific Reports Series B Vol VII Meteorology.
- Law, P. G. 1983. Antarctic odyssey. Heinemann, Melbourne.
- Linsley, R. K. 1951. The hydrologic cycle and its relation to meteorology, in Compendium of
Meteorology. American Meteorological Society, Boston, 104856.
- McClelland, J. R., Pitch, J. and Jonas, W. J. A. 1985. Report of Royal Commission into nuclear weapons tests in Australia. AGPS, Canberra.
- Mellor, D. P. 1958. The role of science and industry, in Australia in the war of 19391945, Vol 5 of Series 4 (Civil). Australian War Memorial, Canberra, 51230.
- Morton, B. 1998. Interview with Bill Priestley. Bulletin of the Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society, II, 8394.
- Palmer, C. E. 1942. Synoptic analysis over the Southern Oceans. Professional Note no 1. New Zealand Meteorological Office, Wellington.
- Palmer, C. E. 1951. Tropical meteorology, in Compendium of Meteorology. American Meteorological Society, Boston, 85980.
- Parnell, N. and Boughton, T. 1988. Flypast: A record of aviation in Australia. AGPS, Canberra.
- Platzman, G. W. 1967. A retrospective view of Richardson's book on weather prediction. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 48, 51450.
- Radok, U. 1993. UNIMET the Meteorology Department in the University of Melbourne 19371990. University of Melbourne, School of Earth Sciences, Meteorology Section. no 34.
- Ryan, B. 1997. Cloud physics research 1949-1984 and beyond, in Windows on Meteorology: Australian perspective. CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne, 14261.
- Richardson, L. P. 1922. Weather prediction by numerical process. Cambridge University Press. (Reprinted by Dover Press, London, 1965).
- Starr, V. P. 1951. The physical basis for the general circulation, in Compendium of Meteorology. American Meteorological Society, Boston, 54150.
- Starr, V. P. 1951. Applications of energy principles to the general circulation, in Compendium of Meteorology. American Meteorological Society, Boston, 56876.
- Sutcliffe, R. C. 1947. A contribution to the problem of development. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 73, 37083.
- Thomas, M. K. 1996. Forecasts for flying: meteorology in Canada, 19181939. ECW Press, Toronto.
- US State Department. 1948. Visual Record of International Meteorological Organization Conference of Directors, Washington DC, September 22 to October 11, 1947.
- Van Mieghem, J. 1968. International cooperation in meteorology: An historical review. Report of the proceedings of the XIVth assembly of the International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics (IAMAP), Lucerne, Sep-Oct 1967, 10928.
- Wexler, H. 1956. Antarctic research during the International Geophysical Year. Geophysical Monograph No 1, Publication no 462, American Geophysical Union, Washington DC, 712.
- Wexler, H. and Rubin, M. J. 1956. Antarctic climatology and meteorology. Geophysical Monograph No 1, Publication no 462, American Geophysical Union. Washington DC, 3643.
- Wiin-Nielsen, A. 1997. Everybody talks about it . . . The Royal Danish Academy of Science and Letters.
People in Bright Sparcs - Farrands, John Laws; Priestley, Charles Henry Brian (Bill); Warren, Herbert Norman
Gibbs, W. J. 1999 'A Very Special Family: Memories of the Bureau of Meteorology 1946 to 1962', Metarch Papers, No. 13 May 1999, Bureau of Meteorology
© Online Edition Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre and Bureau of Meteorology 2001
Published by Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, using the Web Academic Resource Publisher