Home Faculty of Science at the University of Melbourne
Unit entry

Home | Browse | Search | Previous | Next

School of Physics (1945 - )

Faculty of Science
Related EntriesArchival/Heritage ResourcesPublished ResourcesGallery
Function: Academic Department
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

The Department of Natural Philosophy was established at the University of Melbourne in 1882. On the recommendation of the British Institute of Physics, the name of the department was changed to the School of Physics in 1945.


Details
URL: The home page for this entity is located at http://www.ph.unimelb.edu.au/
Alternative Names:
  • Department of Physics (Parallel)

Events
1941

Radio Research lab closed - this is related to Laby's later grievances.

1945

Government provides 40,000 to add extra two storeys to Physics building

1973

Physics moves from the 1888 building to the new Physics and Related Sciences buildings in the north east corner of the grounds

 
Related Entries for School of Physics

Previous and Subsequent Entities

 1882 - 1944 Department of Natural Philosophy
       1945 - School of Physics

Bequests (Scholarships, Fellowships, Lectureships & Prizes)

Faculty

Heads of Department

Personal Chairs

Professorial Chairs

Research Centres

Research Centres (Collaborative)

Top of Page

Google
Structure based on ISAAR(CPF) - click here for an explanation of the fields.Prepared by: Carolyn Rasmussen & Rachel Tropea
Created: 22 August 2001
Modified: 8 April 2002

Published by Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre on AustehcWeb, October 2001
Comments, questions, corrections and additions: http://www.esrc.unimelb.edu.au/about/inquiries.html#comment
Prepared by: Acknowledgements
Updated: 16 November 2009
http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/umfs/biogs/UMFS025b.htm

[ Top of page | Faculty of Science at the University of Melbourne Home | Browse | Search ]