Page 504
Previous/Next Page
Federation and MeteorologyBureau of Meteorology
Table of Contents

Memories of the Bureau of Meteorology


Memories of the Bureau of Meteorology 1929–1946 by Allan Cornish
Chapter 1: My Early Days in the Bureau
Chapter 2: Some New Vistas
Chapter 3: The RAAF Measures Upper Air Temperatures
Chapter 4: The Bureau Begins to Grow
Chapter 5: My Voyage in Discovery II
Chapter 6: The Birth of the Instrument Section
Chapter 7: Darwin Days
Chapter 8: I Leave the Bureau

History of Major Meteorological Installation in Australia from 1945 to 1981 by Reg Stout

Four Years in the RAAF Meteorological Service by Keith Swan

The Bureau of Meteorology in Papua New Guinea in the 1950s by Col Glendinning


Contact us

Chapter 1: My Early Days in the Bureau (continued)

Jack Hogan (1896–1970) told me a whimsical story about Ackeroyd. Ackeroyd was sent on temporary transfer to Perth to replace someone who went to the War. He was there for two and a half years. Regulations provided for a travelling allowance to be paid to officers on temporary transfer. Ackeroyd didn't apply for travelling allowance until after he returned to Melbourne two and a half years later. The regulation was soon amended after Ackeroyd received his travelling allowance with the new regulation limiting the payment of travelling allowance to three weeks.

Many years later Ackeroyd returned to Perth as Divisional Meteorologist. I remember Ackeroyd, like most of the other senior staff, always dressed very formally with wing collars.

In a back room near the switchboard sat old Baker who was in charge of the messenger boys.

Later I was upstairs in a room with Barkley (Assistant Director—Research) and Hogan (1896–1970). I learnt a great deal from Jack Hogan. He was superb. A very tidy mind from the scientific point of view and every other way. He was well read. He knew the regulations. He knew what was done and why. He had a logical mind. Barkley was a very good boss, but more about him later.

In the next room were the Draftsmen, Leo Day and old Mick Kerr. Around the corner past the staircase opposite the Chief Clerk's room was the room where Timcke, Treloar and Tregenza worked. Pilot balloons were filled with hydrogen in that room (Timcke's office) because outside the window was the spiral metal staircase leading to the platform on the roof from which the upper wind observations were made. Two or three hydrogen cylinders were kept in that room.

Supplies of balloons and theodolites were limited. If theodolites became faulty they were put to one side. No effort was made to have them repaired.

People in Bright Sparcs - Cornish, Allan William; Hogan, John; Timcke, Edward Waldemar; Treloar, Harry Mayne

Previous Page Bureau of Meteorology Next Page

Cornish, A., Stout, R., Swan, K and Glendinning, C. 1996 'Memories of the Bureau of Meteorology', Metarch Papers, No. 8 February 1996, Bureau of Meteorology

© Online Edition Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre and Bureau of Meteorology 2001
Published by Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, using the Web Academic Resource Publisher